1. She loved to read, and her favorite author was Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
She always called him Gabo, as though she knew him personally.
2. She made a delicious zucchini pie for special occasions.
3. She studied at Mary Baldwin College in Virginia and treasured the years she spent there.
4. She wrote incredibly detailed letters. When I got married, she sent my relatives in Colombia an eight-page letter describing my big day.
5. She never went anywhere without makeup and jewelry.
6. She loved old movies like 'Casablanca' and 'Gone With the Wind'
7. She liked Carol Burnett but couldn't stand my mom's favorite, Lucille Ball
8. She liked to keep up with movies and music, mostly so she could talk to us about her favorites
9. She was a history buff and loved to read historical fiction/nonfiction
10. She always watched Grand Slam tournaments on TV
11. She kept a collection of thimbles from around the world, and in recent years, I had supplied most of the additions
12. She had a thing for nicknames and gave them out to everyone she loved
13. She took my mom, sister, stepsister and me out after my high school graduation to Coral Gables' fanciest restaurant. We all had the baked Alaska for dessert.
14. She gave me my first diamond ring (for my 15th birthday).
15. She had an amazing memory and never forgot anything you told her.