I haven't posted in a really, really long time. It has been a month of many personal and professional transitions (and there are still many to come), but just when I thought I would pop back into the blogosphere, I was suddenly confronted with a surprisingly critical comment.
I've never deluded myself that I'm one of those A-list mommy bloggers who can craft witty, insightful posts about the daily triumphs and travails of parenthood several times a week. But I do enjoy writing when the mood strikes me, regardless of how many of you are reading along. Never have I imagined, however, that my posts -- especially those about my children -- are simply cringe-inducing and annoying exaltations of "how cute and awesome my kids are." How wrong I was, apparently. Thank you, random reader, for taking the time to tell me to "tone it down." Perhaps you delight in anonymously posting on blogs you don't even care for just to spread a little hate around, or perhaps you really think I will immediately take steps to make my little blog satisfy you. Will the following steps suffice?
- I will instantly make up new and less-cutesy nicknames for my children, instead of calling them the actual nicknames their "Seinfeld"-loving father came up with while they were in-utero.
- I will edit all of my children's quotes so they sound age-appropriately glib and cynical
- I will refrain from exhibiting any excitement or wonder or joy when writing about my kids.
- I will write only about my kids driving me insane and how I occasionally wish I, like "The Sound of Music" Baroness, I could just send my kids, ages two and five, to boarding school.
- I will remind myself that this is not a password-protected, friends-only journal and that "random readers" might just find me too treacly and trite for their taste. And that after deciding I'm too treacly and trite, said random readers will proceed to tell me to "take stock" and "tone it down."
Thanks again, rr. I hope I've addressed your concerns. I look forward to your reader loyalty in the months to come... Or perhaps you've moved on to blindly criticize some other unsuspecting blogger?