Happy New Year, friends. I say friends, because those of you still reading this rarely updated blog truly are my friends. I might seem like a slacker when it comes to Urban Mama, but the truth is that I'm juggling so many other projects I tend to only get here once a month. Since it's January, I'll share my annual checklist of things to do.
- I will make dinner more often. I know, I know, you're all spitting at the screen in shock, but my husband is the family chef (as in I set the menu for Thanksgiving and Christmas but didn't make any of the dishes), and I tend to rely on him (or our culinary gifted friends) for dinner. Since breakfast is mostly DIY, and we're not all together for lunch, dinner is the only problematic meal when it comes to my defincies in the kitchen. I'm hoping to look for interesting recipes and make more dinners that I start early in the day.
- I will continue to unapologetically read Young Adult books (last year I finished more than 120 titles) but will also return to reading "grown up" selections as well, thanks to a neighborhood Book Club I recently joined. (See Teen Lit Rocks for more about my YA obsession).
- I will say "No" more often, because I don't have to do every single thing I'm offered or asked to do, either personally or professionally.
- I will go to at least one cultural event or performance a month, not counting films, since going to the movies is my job.
- I will write more hand-written notes/cards to people I love. Email and text correspondence is fine, but there's something special about a hand-written letter.
- I will play, really play, with my kids more often -- instead of just read to them and set up playdates.
- I will write what I want to write, in addition to what I'm paid to write.
- I will allow myself to grieve, because grief never fully ends. I will always grieve those I've lost, especially Mami and my aunts.
- I will travel whenever possible -- whether it's an overnighter, a long weekend or a Big Trip.
- I will spend more one-on-one time with my friends and be there for my friends as they've been there for me time and time again.
- I will try to be kinder to my body, especially when it's in pain.
- I will be content with what I have rather than wonder about what I don't have.
Of course this list is quite late, but what are you hoping to accomplish this year?