Hello friends -- two posts in a month! It's truly a Leap Day Miracle, as Kenneth from "30 Rock" would say. Since it's such a unique day (happy birthday and anniversary to all of the Leap Day babies and marrieds of the world), I thought I would check in to share some of my favorite things.
- I've been having lots of (regularly updated!) fun keeping Teen Lit Rocks going with my sister Diana. Each month we read a book with adult and teen contributors and then review it on a monthly Book Club Day. February's selection was "Born Wicked," a story about the oldest of three sisters who are actually witches in 19th century New England.
- Hunger Games. Only 24 more days until the movie hits theaters. I'll be watching it (again) at a midnight screening in San Francisco, since we're heading to California for a close friend's wedding that weekend. Can't wait to see one of my favorite YA books come to life with such a stellar actress playing Katniss.
- The Civil Wars. I am still kicking myself for not going with Jen to see them when they came to DC, but they're just so, so good. Their harmony and their chemistry (and they're not even together!) is amazing. Here they are singing their most popular single, "Barton Hollow."
- The show "Alcatraz." I know it's not "Lost," but I still love it. The husband even watches it with me (which is the ultimate sign of a show's awesomeness). As People's TV critic Tom Gliatto says: "The show has the makings of great--what else can I say?--escapist entertainment."
- Dr. Seuss. It's Seuss' birthday this Friday, and we're all set to watch The Cat in The Hat-a-Thon on PBS. We've alrady seen "The Lorax," so we're going to enjoy our early release day by donning our red Cat in the Hat hat, reading our favorite Dr. Seuss books and and watching PBS together. Mami once enrolled us in a Dr. Seuss Book of the Month Club, so we have almost every title he ever wrote. Wasn't she an amazing Abuela? We're looking forward to the Dr. Seuss-a-thon.