I haven't posted in a while, but next week, since it's my birthday, I'm hosting a giveaway a day, so if you stay tuned you'll have a really good chance of winning some of my favorite things (book, movie, apps, video games) as well as some cool swag and household products.
BUT, that's not why I'm writing today. I'm writing because tonight all of the major networks are broadcasting Stand Up to Cancer starting at 8PM ET, and I hope you will watch.
Chances are that like me, you've probably known someone who is or has battled cancer. Maybe your mother didn't die from it, but you know someone, don't you? A sibling, a cousin, an aunt or close friend. I have so many reasons to watch, so many reasons to *give,* so I'll name just a few of them:
1. Mami, who died at age 67 after an 8-year battle with colon and cervical cancer. I miss her every single day.
2. Ele (my beloved aunt), who died at age 74 after suffering from multiple myeloma for two years
3. Mama (my grandmother), who died at 79 just six months after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer
4. Tia (my great-aunt who shared my birthday) lived until the ripe age of 92, but she would have lived longer had stomach and colon cancer not metastasized
5. Susan, a breast cancer survivor and an amazing friend who has taught me about IBC, about never giving up, about delighting in the blessings we've been bestowed
6. Sarah, a breast cancer survivor who was my first friend to have -- and beat -- cancer. She is in remission and nearing a 30-something birthday on the same day as mine.
And that is just a tiny half-dozen names that remind me how much we need to do to find ways to fight cancer. I know there are hundreds of organizations you can donate to, but please at least watch, find out how you can help, if not financially than with your time. Watch for the names on tour list.